Thursday, September 12, 2013

John Proctor: Hero or Stooge

I think John Proctor was a hero in his own way. During this entire of the Salem Witch Trials Proctor was the only one not following the crowd and blaming everyone of witchcraft to save their selves. He kept his integrity and commitment to God to never lie. Towards the end of the play you could see how committed John was. Even when faced with death John never lied or spoke badly against anyone. I think him being with Abigail caused him to do what he did. He felt so guilty that he sort of made up for it with his execution. He chooses to die honestly rather than to live in vain, which is not something a lot of people would do. His pride and the value of his name were important but he also valued the name of his friends. I believe John Proctor is what a good Christian should act like. He might not be the best person in the world but he puts his morals before anything else. He holds his faith higher than anything else which is what mostly all the people of Salem lacked except for Giles. Overall John Proctor is a hero in my book. 

4 comments:

  1. I don't necessarily agree that Proctor made up for his affair with the execution. However, I do like your point that the sin made him who he was. I think it shaped who he was and made him rethink his choices in life and focus on his morals. He learned from his mistake and this not only made him a better person, but also a hero. This is a good point, and is different from other opinions others have shared in the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your points are very persuasive. Although I also feel that the women who hung along with Proctor are also heroes in the Crucible. They also clung to their Cristian beliefs and morals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you John proctor was a hero in my opinion to. You used great examples of how he was a hero to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree and you made some great points. But I don't believe he did what he did for Abigail but rather for his family and his name.

    ReplyDelete